Family Law Blog

Some of the Signs of Parental Alienation Syndrome and what Steps to Take

1. The child no longer wishes to see or spend time with the other parent.
2. The child unreasonably insults or bad-mouths the other parent.
3. The child destroys or refuses to accept gifts from the other parent.
4. A child who expresses love or affection for the target parent when that parent and the child are alone together will suddenly act hatefully, defiantly or negatively once the child is in the presence of the alienating parent.
5. The child may be fearful of a parent and even falsely accuse them of abuse.
6. The child does not feel guilty about their inappropriate attitudes and behavior towards the target parent.
Additionally, you should also be concerned if:
a. Your child has become more withdrawn after being previously open and happy.
b. Your child’s performance in school is shaky and his or her grades have dropped.
c. Your older child may being using or experimenting with drugs or alcohol.

Steps to Take

So, what should you do if you fear your child is experiencing PAS or if you are a target parent experiencing parental alienation?
1. The first thing is to become knowledgeable about these processes. The more you become aware of what parental alienation and PAS are, the better prepared you are to deal with those concerns.
2. Keep your emotions in check. Don’t add fuel to the fire with your anger and
do your part to insulate your children from any negative behavior.
3. Don’t retaliate and become an alienating parent yourself.
4. Listen to your children without being judgmental and explain to them that, although you and your spouse may not see eye to eye on co-parenting, you still love them.
5. Keep a log of your attempts to see your child. This will be useful if in Court.
6. Seek professional help. Getting therapy for yourself and your child can go a long way in dealing with the trauma of parental alienation and PAS. There are certain counselors and therapists who specialize in or who are specially trained in dealing with parental alienation cases, and it would behoove you to seek them out. Their fees may be higher than other analysts, but you will need an expert in this field if your case cannot be amicably resolved between the parties.
7. Put together a support network of friends, family and others who will be there for you when times are tough, for example, when your wife will not allow the children to see you on your birthday or your teenagers don’t buy
you a Christmas present.
8. Seek legal assistance. Obtain the services of a qualified lawyer who specializes in divorce and family law cases and is experienced in these types of issues, especially if you have been trying to prosecute your lawsuit on your own. Equip your attorney with the facts and make sure to comply and follow Court Orders even if you do not agree with them.  If these symptoms sound familiar to you, you need the assistance and expertise of Maynor Sachs Copple. Our team of paralegals and attorneys has the knowledge and experience needed to understand how parental alienation can impact domestic relations issues, such as custody and visitation.  You need the expertise of our advocates to protect your rights, your children’s rights, and your relationship with your children. We are dedicated to protecting
our clients and preserving their families. Get more info at
Call To Meet with An Attorney: 561.691.9336